Part-Time / 22 views
Port Clyde General Store
Position: Dock – Marine Services
Position type: Full and part-time, seasonal:
Starting Pay range: $16-18 based on experience
Location: 4 Cold Storage Road, Port Clyde, ME 04855
Benefits: Enjoy weekly pay each Friday by direct deposit. All employees receive an $8 meal credit each shift as well as a 15% discount at all of our locations. We strive to give 2 consecutive days off each week and offer (online) schedules a month in advance.
To ensure customer and employee safety and enjoyment in and around the Port Clyde General Store wharf area by following established company procedures and providing exceptional customer service. The dockworker reports directly to the store manager.
Description of responsibilities:
Responsibilities and duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Monitor channel 9 on the walkie-talkie for the duration of your shift, carrying it on your person. Return to the charging station in the PCGS at the end of your shift.
- Upon arrival, mid-day and at departure, take a walk around the dock, exterior of the Dip Net, Port Clyde General Store and Squid Ink buildings and the dumpster looking for and removing any debris or garbage. Make sure the dumpster area is clean, all trash is in dumpster and folded cardboard is appropriately stored (folded cardboard inside a larger box). There should be no opportunity for the birds to make a mess in that area. Empty all trash bins in front of the store and on the dock. Sweep the dock from the Adirondack chairs down to the end of the dock.
- Sweep rocks from the dock and parking lot morning, mid-day and upon departure. Sweep the road and parking lots and remove trash in front of the Port Clyde General Store and from the parking lots.
- Police the parking lot in front of the PCGS and the dock/Annex. This parking is not public parking; it is for General Store, Wyeth Gallery, Wyeth Boat Tours, Dip Net, Squid Ink and Barn patrons only. This is not employee parking. Please be vigilant of people parking in these spots that are not LBPM customers (painting while sitting in car, going kayaking or biking, walking around town, going to Monhegan etc.) and ask them to move. Squid Ink and Dip Net owners may not park in our parking lot. Family members of the owners may park in our parking lot, please double check before asking an owner to move.
- Spray/scrub bird excrement off dock and floats the best you can.
- Dead head (remove dead flower blossoms) from the flower containers along the store and the dock.
- Open the umbrellas along the dock unless there is a strong wind, which would damage the umbrellas and/or create a safety hazard.
- Keep the picnic tables clean, carrying in dishes and condiments left on the tables to the Port Kitchen.
- Check the dock and the railings for any damage or repairs needed.
- Report any damage to the manager.
- Check the gas pump for any damage.
- Report any damage to the manager.
- Check the gas pump hose for safety.
- Report any damage to the manager.
- Bring all issues to the manager’s attention.
- Keep skiff neat and clean.
- Make sure skiff is gassed and DO NOT let the gas get low. Use the general manager’s company credit card to purchase gas and be sure to produce a receipt to them.
- Check the gas lines in the skiff.
- Check life jackets and make sure all are accounted for.
- When operating the skiff, you are required to wear a life jacket.
- Check life float lines to be sure they are not tangled.
- Keep dockworker booth clean of trash and clutter.
- Maintain a position on the dock where you have full site of all boats coming and going from the dock and its floats. Always greet guests with a smile. We are a “can do” company.
- Help all mariners dock their boats using the upmost caution not to scratch or damage the boat. Gas the boat as directed by the owner and help them with other general needs i.e. taking their boat’s trash to the dumpster (Ensure they pay the $5 trash fee through Dockwa), purchasing supplies in the PCGS, spraying off their boat, filling boat with water (Ensure they pay the $2 through Dockaw) etc.
- The dock is not public. Boaters may tie to our dock for four reasons only: they are fueling up, customers of the general store, on one of our moorings or going out to Davis or Teel Island. Enforce the 15-minute tie up rule. All other boaters may pay for a mooring or use the public dock to the right of our dock.
- Coil lines as not to create a hazard for people walking on the dock.
- Manage the mooring field
- Take mooring reservations through Dockwa, ensuring that boats are directed to the appropriate mooring based on vessel length and availability.
- Upkeep the clarity of “PCGS” and mooring number on mooring balls.
- Report or repair any found deficiencies.
- Provide transportation (using the company skiff) to mariners to and from their boats who are moored on one of our moorings.
- Help direct guests with the location and use of our facilities (PCGS, Dip Net, Seaside Inn, The Barn, showers, and Wyeth Gallery).
- Know the basics of our services like tour times, store and restaurant hours of operation, a description of the tours, costs of ice, shower, laundry etc.
- Maintain all tools and equipment used in the operation of the wharf as per company procedures.
- Maintain a safe and clean dock and surrounding area.
- Alcohol consumption is prohibited on the dock. Please let people know when you see them consuming alcohol.
- Smoking is prohibited on the dock. Please let people know the designated smoking area is the right side of the retaining wall of the boat landing.
- PCGS – When the dock is slow: check cardboard in store and place out in the receptacle at the
dumpster. Help stock the store and walk-in cooler.
Customer service experience is preferred, but we are willing to train the right candidate.
- Excellent and strong communication skills – Great smile!
- Time management skills
- Be on time for your shifts
- Customer satisfaction-oriented
- Availability – Must be able to work weekends, holidays, evenings, and possible overtime
- Able to stand for long periods of time, work in a fast-paced environment and lift and carry up to 40 pounds
- Able to communicate politely and professionally with the customers
- Must be patient, helpful and able to problem solve
- Agile and efficient
- Ability to follow instructions and work as a team
- Ability to work and contribute with minimal supervision
- Ability to stock and organize in the walk-in cooler set to 38 degrees or less
- Attention to detail
- Capable of working for long hours consistently
- Must have basic mathematical abilities
- Have knowledge of the items for sale in the store and the businesses and attractions in the area
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- A pleasing personality
- Must be highly organized and systematic in work
Pick up an application at the store or email your resume to:
Port Clyde General Store is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.